The Red Phoenix Feng Shui
Like the mythical Red Phoenix, I love essential oils. I love the aroma, I love that I can use them to balance my health and my life.
I am very lucky to be able to study Aromatherapy. I want to make all the recipes I have come across in studying Aromatherapy. I use many of the recipes found in my manual and in the books I have on my bookshelf. I do not think a day goes by that I do not use an essential oil for something. In fact, I have an energetic blend mixed specifically for the emotional and energetic qualities of the oils. This blend is mixed using fractionated coconut oil as the base oil. I use it when I feel I need extra protection from a stressful situation, or person. I use it when I go on Feng Shui Appointments or sometimes just because a day seems particularly stressful.
While reading the material for my current study module, I became quite excited about the uses for our three oils in the Materia Medica, Essential Oil of Rose, Essential Oil of Sandalwood, and Essential oil of Rosemary. In particular, I am very interested and excited to begin using, blending, and formulating Essential Oil of Rose and Rose Attar. My daughter has migraines often, and issues with menstrual pain. I make a balm with essential oils of rosemary, peppermint and eucalyptus but after reading about essential oil of rose and rose attar, I want to make some products specifically for her and to treat her ailments.
She (as well as my other three children) will be getting an array of products containing essential oils for Christmas. They will get shower gels, bath oils, massage oils, balms, tinctures, talc, bath salts, and whatever else I can think of… That will come later… for today, I decided to make the “Morning Revive Shower Gel." What I did not have on hand, I substituted.
I had only 2 ounces of unscented soap so made one/half the recipe and did not have any Petitgrain so substituted Lavender instead.
Here is the recipe I used:
Morning Revive, (revised!)
2-oz unscented Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soap (pure-castile soap)
8 drops Essential oil of Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
5 drops Essential oil of Grapefruit (Citrus paradise)
5 drops Essential oil of Tangerine (Citrus reticulate)
3 drops Essential oil of Lavender (Lavandula officinalis)
My husband and I will use this shower gel and I will use the oils made in my last Blog Post as pre-bath oil and/or oil in my evening bath water. Remember, I made two oils (one with sesame oil and one with olive oil) mixed with essential oil of Lemon. Using the Morning Revive, with the citrus oils will compliment the bath oils.
- Characteristics: Strong, clear and penetrating, a refreshing and stimulating herbal fragrance.
- Properties: analgesic, antidepressant, astringent,
- Mind and spirit: Strengthens mental clarity, improves memory
- Body: valuable for respiratory problems such as common cold, sinusitis, asthma, relieves pain – helps arthritis, stimulates blood circulation – good remedy for low blood pressure.
- Precautions: not suitable for people with epilepsy or high blood pressure, or pregnancy
Grapefruit (Citrus paradisi)
- Properties: Antidepressant, antiseptic, diuretic, disinfectant, stimulant
- Mind and spirit: has an overall uplifting and reviving effect – good to use in states of stress, depression and nervous exhaustion
- Body: lymphatic stimulant, useful for treating water retention, is detoxifying and diuretic – good for treating cellulite, stimulating for digestive system.
- Skin and hair: helpful in treating acne and oily skin
Tangerine (Citrus reticulate blanco)
- Properties: Antiseptic, antispasmodic, sedative
- Mind and Spirit: a relaxant and helpful in relieving stress and tension
- Body: has a tonic effect on the digestive system, popular massage oil during pregnancy, reduces stretch marks, fluid retention and stimulated circulation.
- Skin and hair: use in massage oils for acne, oily skin, and treatment of stretch marks.
Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia)
- Properties: Analgesic, antidepressant, antiseptic, antispasmodic, antiviral, bactericide, decongestant, deodorant, diuretic sedative
- Mind and spirit: sedative, good for treating depression, insomnia, migraine, nervous tension, good for treating migraines and headaches
- Body: Lavender is antiseptic good for treating coughs, colds, sinus, flu, etc…
- Skin and hair: anti-inflammatory properties have a balancing effect on the skin – good for treating dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, boils and acne.
References: The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy – Salvatore Battaglia
Aroma 101 Introduction to Aromatherapy Manual, pages 309-314
, Red Phoenix
, Rose Attar
, Shower Gel